Chief Master Sgt. Frederick E. Jaehnig is the Senior Enlisted Leader of Delta 9, headquartered at Schriever Space Force Base, Colorado. He provides enlisted leadership, guidance and mentorship to over 450 military, Department of Defense civilians and defense contractor personnel. Delta 9’s mission is to prepare, present and project assigned and attached forces for the purpose of conducting protect and defend operations and providing national decision authorities with response options to deter, and, when necessary, defeat orbital threats. Additionally, Delta 9 supports Space Domain Awareness by conducting space-based battlespace characterization operations and also conducts on-orbit experimentation and technology demonstrations for the U.S. Space Force.
Jaehnig entered the Air Force in February 2003. He graduated enlisted space operations training in July 2003. In 2008, he was hand-selected for the United States Air Force Weapon School’s first enlisted space instructor cadre. His professional military background includes various disciplines within the space operations career field, to include orbital warfare operations, space domain awareness, network operations and intelligence.
2007 Airman Leadership School, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
2009 Associate of Applied Science, Air and Space Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Bachelor of Science, Space Studies, American Public University, Charles Town, W.V.
2012 US Air Force Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2013 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, Suffolk, Va., by correspondence
2015 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 Master of Arts, Management and Leadership, Liberty University, Lynchburg, Va.
2017 USAF Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, Suffolk Va., by correspondence
1. July 2003 – September 2006, Ground Systems Operator, Procedures Lead and Mission Assurance Operations Verification, 1st Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
2. September 2006 – August 2008, Ground Systems Operator Evaluator and Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Compliance Section, 50th Operations Group Standardization and Evaluation, Schriever AFB, Colo.
3. June 2008 – August 2012, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Space Operations/Weapon School Instructor, 328th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
4. August 2012 – July 2014, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Operations Training, 1st SOPS, Schriever AFB, Colo.
5. July 2014 – May 2015, Flight Chief, Current Operations, 1st SOPS, Schriever AFB, Colo.
6. May 2015 – February 2016, Operations Superintendent, 1st SOPS, Schriever AFB, Colo.
7. February 2016 – January 2017, Squadron Superintendent, 22nd SOPS, Schriever AFB, Colo.
8. January 2017 – June 2018, Superintendent, National Security Space Institute, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. June 2018 – June 2020, Superintendent, National Reconnaissance Office Operations Center, Fort Belvoir, Va.
10. July 2020 – present, Senior Enlisted Leader, Space Delta 9, Schriever SFB, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
2007 50th Operations Group Noncommissioned Officer of the 4th Quarter
2009 328th Weapons Squadron NCO of the Year
2011 328th Weapons Squadron NCO of the Year
2012 57th Wing NCO of the 2nd Quarter
2015 50th Space Wing Senior NCO of the 1st Quarter
2015 50th Operations Group SNCO of the Year
2017 Air Force Institute of Technology SNCO of the 4th Quarter
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic Feb. 11, 2003
Airman 1st Class March, 28 2003
Senior Airman July, 28 2005
Staff Sergeant June 1,2007
Technical Sergeant July 1, 2010
Master Sergeant June 1, 2014
Senior Master Sergeant Feb. 1, 2018
Chief Master Sergeant December 1, 2020
(Current as of January 2021