Col. Christopher “Trigger” Fernengel is currently assigned as the Commander, Space Delta 3, Space Operations Command, Peterson Space Force Base, Colo. He commands the Space Electromagnetic Warfare delta with personnel deployed worldwide. Space Delta 3 is responsible for preparing and presenting assigned and attached forces for the purpose of executing electromagnetic warfare. The units falling under his command within Space Delta 3 are the 4th, 5th and 16th Space Control Squadrons and the 721st Operations Support Squadron.
Col. Fernengel is a 2001 ROTC graduate of Ohio University. His career includes assignments as a space operator; instructor; tactician; joint planner and strategist; 3-star speechwriter; and, Headquarters of the Air Force’s space requirements lead. He deployed to Afghanistan during operations Resolute Support and Freedom’s Sentinel as an expeditionary squadron commander. He has also commanded the 4th Space Control Squadron at Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
Prior to his current assignment, Col. Fernengel was the Director, Operational Capability Requirements for Headquarters, U.S. Space Force at the Pentagon.
2001 Bachelor of Arts, Sociology, Ohio University, Athens
2002 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Master of Business Administration in Accounting, Trident University, Cypress, Calif.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Special Technical Operations Planners Course, Landover, Md.
2013 Joint and Coalition Warfighter School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2014 Naval Command and Staff College, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2014 Master of National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2019 Marine Corps War College, Marine Corps University, Quantico, Va.
2019 Master of Strategic Studies, Marine Corps University, Quantico, Va.
“The Kill Chain in Space: Developing a Warfighting Mindset,” War on the Rocks, October 2019
1. August 2001 – May 2002, Student, Undergraduate Space and Missile Training and GPS Initial Qualification Training, 392nd Training Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
2. May 2002 – December 2003, GPS Operations Crew Commander, 1st Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
3. December 2003 – December 2004, Alternate Senior Instructor, 50th Operations Support Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
4. December 2004 – May 2005, Wing Tactics Officer, 50th Operations Support Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
5. May 2005 – January 2007, Space Defense Director Instructor, 1st Space Control Squadron, Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station, Colo.
6. January 2007 – June 2007, Student, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. June 2007 – April 2009, Chief, Weapons and Tactics, 614th Air and Space Operations Center, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
8. April 2009 – April 2010, Chief, SSA Operations Team, 614th Air and Space Operations Center, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
9. April 2010 – July 2011, Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters, 14th Air Force, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
10. July 2011 – July 2013, Chief, Weapons and Tactics for Special Technical Operations, Global Operations, US Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
11. July 2013 – July 2014, Student, Naval Command Staff College, Newport, R.I.
12. July 2014 – April 2016, Director of Operations, 527th Space Aggressor Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
13. April 2016 – June 2018, Commander, 4th Space Control Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. June 2018 – June 2019, Student, Marine Corps War College, Quantico, Va.
15. June 2019 – March 2020, Chief, Space Forces Requirements Division, Headquarters, U.S. Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. March 2020 – July 2021, Director, Operational Capability Requirements Directorate, Headquarters, U.S. Space Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. July 2021 – Present, Commander, Space Delta 3 - Space Electromagnetic Warfare, Peterson Space Force Base, Colo.
1. July 2011 – July 2013, Chief, Weapons and Tactics for Special Technical Operations, Global Operations, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb. as a major
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with Combat Device and oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with star device
Global War on Terrorism Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal with star device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 9, 2001
First Lieutenant July 9, 2003
Captain July 9, 2005
Major Sept. 1, 2011
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 2016
Colonel March 1, 2020
(Current as of July 2021)