Col. David J. Wilson is the Vice Commander, Peterson Space Force Base, and Commander, 21st Mission Support Group , a component of Peterson-Schriever Garrison, Colo. He leads 2,000 personnel who provide civil engineer, communications, contract, logistics, personnel, security and services support to 21st Space Wing units, including 23 geographically separated units, operating worldwide to execute missile warning, space situational awareness, and space control missions. He is also responsible for installation support for the headquarters of North American Aerospace Defense Command, U.S. Northern Command, U.S. Space Force and 50 additional mission partners, totaling nearly 10,000 assigned personnel.
Col. Wilson commissioned through Texas Tech University’s Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. He has served in numerous base level assignments and commanded the 21st Force Support Squadron at Peterson AFB, Colo. He deployed in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, and Onward Liberty. Additionally, he served as a staff officer at U.S. Central Command, Joint Task Force Guantanamo, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, U.S. Department of State, and in the office of U.S. Senator Ben Cardin of Maryland. Prior to being a student at the National War College, Col. Wilson served as Legislative Affairs Officer for NORAD and USNORTHCOM.
2002 Bachelor of Arts in History, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
2006 Master of Science in International Relations, Troy University, Troy, Ala.
2007 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2014 Graduate Certificate in Legislative Affairs, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
2020 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Ft McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 2002 – January 2003, Squadron Section Commander, 490th Missile Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
2. January 2003 – March 2005, Squadron Section Commander, 341st Civil Engineer Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
3. April 2005 – November 2005, Chief Relocations & Employments, 341st Mission Support Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
4. November 2005 – May 2006, Chief Customer Support, 341st Mission Support Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
5. June 2006 – February 2008, Chief Base Support Officer Development, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
6. March 2008 – August 2008, Force Support Officer Assignments, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
7. August 2008 – July 2010, Executive Officer to the Executive Director, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
8. July 2010 – June 2011, Flight Commander, Sustainment Services, 52nd Force Support Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
9. January 2012 – May 2013, Operations Officer, 52nd Force Support Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
10. June 2013 – December 2013, Congressional & Public Affairs, Bureau of Political-Military Affairs, Department of State, Washington, D.C.
11. January 2014 – December 2014, Legislative Fellow, U.S. Senate, Senator Benjamin L. Cardin (MD), Washington, D.C.
12. December 2014 – May 2015, Chief Legislative Analysis, Directorate of Plans & Integration, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2015 – June 2017, Commander, 21st Force Support Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. June 2017 – July 2019, Legislative Affairs Officer, North American Aerospace Defense Command & U.S. Northern Command, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2019 – June 2020, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2020 – Present, Commander, 21st Mission Support Group, Peterson Space Force Base, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant May 2002
First Lieutenant May 2004
Captain May 2006
Major July 2012
Lieutenant Colonel January 2016
Colonel March 2020
(Current as of June 2020)